August – That Dude (in the movies)

This is an embarrassing story, but I’m going to tell it anyway. All of my life I’ve been a skinny guy. This is fine. I don’t mind, but back in college I got this crazy idea that I would look better if I had big muscles. I smile about this because I would look idiotic if I bulked up, but at the time I daydreamed about taking my shirt off at the beach and everyone admiring my physique. I have no idea why.

charles_atlas_j

When I was a kid, I saw ads for the Charles Atlas workout routine.

One day I thought I’d try to live the dream and I signed up for a weight lifting class. I spent hours imagining how awesome I was going to look at the end of the semester. I’d come home for the summer and everyone would freak out. People might even call me up to move furniture. Stuff like that.

So I took the class and learned about all kinds of fancy fitness machines. After a few weeks, I felt like I was making progress. At the very least, my entire body was sore. To make room for all the extra muscle I was carrying around campus, I started walking with my arms puffed out . This was awesome, a dream come true! I knew I looked good. Then I  looked in a mirror.

uku_in_mirror_smile

The ukulele looks in the mirror and sees… a ukulele.

The guy looking back was just me. The same old skinny me. Completely deflated, I dropped my arms to my sides and walked back to my dorm room.

But, you know how these stories go, there’s always a silver lining. On my way back to my room I realized that the real hero of the beach wasn’t the guy who could crush a can against his head (although I still wish I could do that), it was the guy who knew CPR. This was liberating. I already knew CPR. I could stop wasting time on the fitness machines and spend more time playing my cello. Score.

cello_and_uke_smile

The ukulele admits that sometimes he wishes he was a cello.

Folks, this month’s song is all about those times when we wish we could be cooler than we think we are. Or when we wish we were better at karate. In the end, we are who we are and that’s the best. We just don’t always realize it at first.

I hope you have a great September, and, as always, if you want to play or sing along, here’s the song sheet!  (I’m now referring to the chart as the “song sheet” because there was some confusion about whether the chart also had the lyrics).

p.s. Check out the new “Recipe of the Month” feature that I’ve started up!

12 thoughts on “August – That Dude (in the movies)

1. I’m so glad this is not the way you drive normally! 😉 Great job on the song!

1. Josh says:

Thanks so much! It’s all just a dream!

2. yolana says:

This is the first thing I’ve heard you sing and I’m impressed. We all thought it was a great song but Gideon thought you should have sung about a pokemon instead of some dude in a movie (he thinks everything should be about pokemon or legos right now)

1. Josh says:

I’ll see what I can do about Pokemon!

3. Mike says:

Rocking Awesome!! Love the Yum along with the Tune!…. 🙂

1. Josh says:

Hooray! I’m glad you like the tune and the tasty recipe!

4. GR8MUSICROX says:

Reblogged this on GR8MUSICROX and commented:
    A most innovative cellist, Josh Starmer, is one of the coolest cats I know. Ukes are cool too!

5. Nate says:

I remember that weight lifting class. You taught me an important lesson: it’s not just about “lifting heavy things” on the machine, it’s also about transporting the weights from the rack. Moving weights around between machines is key to a balanced workout. That was all the instruction I got from that class. The actual instructor would just check-in to make sure you had your priorities straight. When spring hit, weights ended and golf started, where football coach P. Peterson taught us that a PhD is a pile of horse’s dung, and what was really important was what happened out on the golf range (no wait, that was after Peterson got booted and Ramsey took over). I think your response to this comment was a nod and questioning look, which was in itself a nugget of wisdom. Sometimes I’d wish I had that Starmer insight.

6. networksunknown says:

I remember that weight lifting class. You taught me an important lesson: it’s not just about “lifting heavy things” on the machine, it’s also about transporting the weights from the rack. Moving weights around between machines is key to a balanced workout. That was all the instruction I got from that class. The actual instructor would just check-in to make sure you had your priorities straight. When spring hit, weights ended and golf started, where football coaches P. Peterson taught us that a PhD is a pile of horse’s dung, and what was really important was what happened out on the golf range (no wait, that was after Peterson got booted and Ramsey took over). I think your response to this comment was a nod and questioning look, which was in itself a nugget of wisdom. Sometimes I’d wish I had that Starmer insight.

1. Josh says:

Oh, I’m so glad you remember those classes, too! Sometime I wonder if they really happened. They seemed so strange and dream-like or something out of a movie. Golf especially.

7. Fletcher says:

A great tune Josh!! Really like both tune and lyrics. Good tempo changes.