Song of the Month
In late 2012, I thought to myself, “wouldn’t it be fun to write and record a song each month next year?” That thought led to a resolution, and that resolution led to an album, and I’m having too much fun to stop. This page provides a permanent place for the links to each tune.
Below are the rough and unmastered mixes that I released each month.
~ 2017 ~
- Song #51 – The Rainbow
- Song #50 – Mr. Haddy
- Song #49 – A New Song
~ 2016 ~
- Song #48 – Psycho Killer
- Song #47 – The Coldest Day of the Year
- Song #46 – I Love You
- Song #45 – Roses
- Song #44 – Nasty Weather
- Song #43 – Maybe It’ll Go Away
- Song #42 – Another Day
- Song #41 – Say Your Goodbyes
- Song #40 – Deal With It
- Song #39 – Rachel’s Song
- Song #38 – Now or Never
- Song #37 –
All I Ask
~ 2015 ~
- Song #25 January – You Don’t Know: When your car radio stops working, your only option is to sing about where you’re driving.
- Song #26 February – On Your Doorstep: If you’ve ever been on a first date, then you probably know what this song is all about.
- Song #27 March – Lucky To Be Alive: Rejection can be pretty hard to take sometimes.
- Song #28 April – Look Away: Projecting outward can require introspection to balance things out.
- Song #29 May – The Cue For The Band: The first dance I ever went to (middle school) was traumatizing.
- Song #30 June – Casual Shirts: Sometimes you see the craziest things in the mall.
- Song #31 July – Don’t Worry About Me: Rejection is never easy to take.
- Song #32 August – Oceans: This song’s based on a picture a friend drew a few years back.
- Song #33 September – That’s Alright: Here’s a fun song that was recorded live and shows the whole band!
- Song #34 October – Far and Wide:
- Song #35 November – Christmas In Rio:
- Song #36 December – Girl You Know It’s True:
~ 2014 ~
- Song #13 January – Up In the Air: A 13 hour plane ride gives you lots of time to either sleep, watch movies, or write songs. I choose the later.
- Song #14 February – The Chariot: Sometimes parties aren’t where you need to be. Sometimes it’s best to go home.
- Song #15 March – Dance Party: And then again, sometimes it is time to party…
- Song #16 April – Puzzle Pieces (Kay, Before): Six days on a boat gives you time to reflect on all the people that come and go in our busy lives.
- Song #17 May – Right Here, Right Now: It’s now a well established and wonderful tradition – here’s my annual beach song.
- Song #18 June – You: A bumpy ride in a plane turned out to be the perfect inspiration for a quiet and personal song.
- Song #19 July – Cabin Pressure: A random encounter with and old friend turned the mundane into something beautiful.
- Song #20 August – That Dude (in the movies): I think we all daydream about being someone else from time to time.
- Song #21 September – That Dress: When everything is just right, you’ve got to make that moment last.
- Song #22 October – Winter: The trees are changing and getting ready for the cold.
- Song #23 November – Turn On Your Radio: The holidays are about getting together with folks, near and far.
- Song #24 December – Amadeus: You know and love this song. Enjoy it now with 100% more cello, mandolin, ukulele and tabla!
~ 2013 ~
- Song #1 January – Strangely Warm: The inaugural tune for 2013. A rather upbeat song for voice, ukulele, mandolin and cello.
- Song #2 February – Beneath a Pyramid: A slightly darker tone. What started out as a simple ukulele tune turned into an epic arrangement.
- Song #3 March – The Rain in Midwinter: This year, March showers also brought flowers with them.
- Song #4 April – You Can Do It: The Boss asked for an upbeat song and The Boss gets an upbeat song.
- Song #5 May – I’d Rather Be With You: Sometimes a relaxing trip to the beach isn’t so relaxing, but if you’re with the right people, it can still be the best trip ever.
- Song #6 June – Way Too Soon: Awkward moments are, well, awkward, but we can’t let a little something like that get in the way of having a good time.
- Song #7 July – Time To Go: Moving on in life is hard for so many reasons, but it’s what we have to do from time to time to get the most out of everything.
- Song #8 August – The Dream: A recent trip to Brazil was inspiring in so many ways.
- Song #9 September – Just You and Me: What do you do when you’re stuck in traffic? You write a new song, that’s what you do.
- Song #10 October – The Whistle: A tribute to the musical traditions in my native North Carolina.
- Song #11 November – The Choicest Gift: Sometimes it’s the little things that make the biggest differences in our lives.
- Song #12 December – Going Back to Cali: It’s New Years, let’s party.