Song 33 – September – That’s Alright

Lately I’ve been having a lot of fun experimenting with my songs, and this new one is no exception. The past 32 songs I’ve recorded have all been one layer (or instrument) at a time. I’ll start by recording a single ukulele part. Then I’ll record another instrument. And then another. I just add sounds, one part at a time, until I’ve created a rich sonic space that’s deeply layered.

brian_and_carol_color

This time, however, I wanted to record as much as I could all at the same time. Not only that, I didn’t want the song to feel like each note had been precisely placed with tweezers; I wanted to capture the fun, energy and messiness of learning a new tune. So we (The Star Makers) only ran through this one a few times before recording it. In the end, we were able to capture almost everything live (including the energy and fun). After we had a good take, we added clapping and I doubled the mandolin solo to make it easier to hear in the mix.

robert_cajon_color

I hope everyone had a great September! I had a wonderful month. Recording this song, a playful spoof on my relationship with the folks that live across the street, was a highlight, but I also traveled to New York City to perform with a dance company. It was a blast getting to spend 5 days rehearsing and performing there. If you’d like to play or sing along with this tune, here’s the song sheet. And last, but certainly not least, all of the pictures and the video were taken by Kacy Jung.

01_full_band_bw

9 thoughts on “Song 33 – September – That’s Alright

1. Jean Lesesne says:

Didn’t realize you had such a southern accent, but i like the song anyway. The video is great showing the personalities of your band. We’re off to Tampa on Wed. and will go see your folks when they get back from Rachel’s. Thanks for sending your fun songs.

1. Josh says:

Hooray! I’m glad you like the song.

2. Rachel says:

You’re killing me!! Great song but if you are EVER within commuting distance again and don’t let me know–I’m going to BEAT YOU UP!

1. Josh says:

Sorry about the NYC trip. I’ll let you know the next time I’m up there. And, if you want to download the song, you can do that from my soundcloud page:
      [soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/226199235″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

3. Rachel says:

(Slinking back . . .) Also, how do we download the song. 🙂

4. Aline says:

Loved it….rockstar!

1. Josh says:

Thanks to that awesome pick that you gave me (that I used in the video and I use all the time – the one that says, “Josh, you rock!”)

5. Fletcher says:

Totally LOVE this one. Love the pace and speed of the song. Reminds me of my favorite band from Boston-Scruffy the Cat-a bit. I think this is my favorite song you have done. Love the band Josh. Come to B’more!!!

1. Josh says:

As always, thanks for the great vibes Fletcher! I really didn’t know what people would think of this one – it’s so rough compared to the other tunes, but it’s just the way I wanted it to be.